The Recycling Occupational Therapist is only $25.00 with free shipping with Paypal

Offer only applies in continental United States

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pockets from old pants used to teach manipulation skills

I used the pockets from my son's old pants in this activity. They have zipper or Velcro closures. I placed small plastic animals in each one and then placed each in a detergent bottle that has the handle cut so that I can attach it to hang over a fence. During hippotherapy this little girl pulled the reins to stop at a bottle, removed the pocket, opened it to remove the toy and then put the toy in a bag attached to the tack. I Loved how this involved sequencing several steps and she loved seeing the animals. I realized after doing 3 of these that she is pretty good at feeling the animal while it is inside the bag and identifying what it is just by touch. This works on tactile discrimination. I will next build on these skills by asking her to do this while facing backwards (which she is not too fond of doing) or while on her belly in superman position.    

My client did a really nice job of using her hands together while opening and closing the zipper or velcro.